While more than half of the house fires start in the kitchen, they can also be caused by damaged or faulty electrical wiring. Rewiring your house can save your family from the trauma and loss of a house fire, but how do you know when this needs to be done? If you are living in an older house and you suspect any issues you can contact Sydney electrician and solve the issues.

Tips to know that your house needs wiring

Age of your house

If the house you are living in was built more than 20 years ago, it may still have its original old wiring. This wiring might not be able to handle the load which is required by your modern appliances and electrical gadgets which causing the wires to heat up. The load from the multiple modern appliances running together, like hair dryers, washing machines, and microwaves, can cause overheating to these old wires. Older wiring can have insulation that is deteriorating with time or inadequate which can result in leading the surrounding materials to catch fire after overheating. Home wiring in locations that regularly experience hot climates can be even more likely to degrade as high temperatures can also affect the condition of the wiring insulation.

If you think that your home’s wiring is out of date, you can call a qualified electrician as soon as possible so that they can assess the need to update.REWIRING

Circuit breaker falling regularly

Circuit breakers are designed to prevent fires by cutting off the flow of electricity when the circuit overloads. Fault electrical appliances can cause the circuit breaker to trip which can be also caused by faulty wiring that can result in fire, but if your circuit breaker is falling regularly it will be best to call an electrician to assess the cause.

Hot or discolored power outlets

Loose electrical connections can cause small fires, which can lead to discolouration on the front of outlets. The loose connection can be caused by faulty wiring near the switch or the board. If you’ve experienced any hot outlets or have found charred electrical sockets around your home, immediately avoid using the socket and seek the advice of a skilled electrician.

Burning smell

If you observe a burning smell in your house which never seems to go away and you can’t find the source, it might be due to an electrical short which might have taken place in the walls or under the floorboards of your house. If you are doubtful about  this case, turn off your electricity and the mains and call an electrician right away. The reason can be something that is easy to fix or can be a sign that your house needs rewiring.

Don’t touch old wiring

Old wiring can also kill people besides the risk of fire. There are many incidents where people dies after touching the old wires, hence it is always advised not to touch the old wires and touching the wires should be only left to the licensed professionals.

If you are living in an older home or are experiencing any of the above issues above you should immediately contact the licensed Sydney Electrician to solve the issue. Their services range from point installation to full rewiring.