These days, laser technology has taken dentistry to a higher level. With lasers, dentists don’t need to poke and prod at their clients’ teeth and gums using metal tools. Midtown Manhattan laser dentistry can effectively and accurately perform a lot of dental procedures. And the ability of the laser to improve procedures depends on the skill of the dentist. If you are in need of dental treatments and seeking comfort and safety, consider looking for a dentist who has incorporated laser techniques into their treatments and practices.
Conditions That Laser Dentistry Can Treat
Laser dentistry cannot be used in all dental procedures. But, in general, it can be used if you are dealing with the following dental issues:
- Tooth decay- For a serious case of tooth decay, lasers can be used for hollowing out the tooth, removing the decayed matter. Usually, this procedure is performed before standard cavity fillings to allow for a more efficient process.
- Gum disease- If you have gum disease, you can benefit from the efficiency of laser dentistry. Usually, dentists will use lasers for removing bacteria from the gums, contouring the gums, and preparing them for root canal procedures.
- Gummy smile- Dental lasers are used for reshaping gum tissue, so healthy tooth structure is exposed. In turn, this will improve the look of a gummy smile.
- Stained teeth- Dentists who incorporate laser technology into their practice will use lasers during in-office whitening procedures to accelerate the entire process. In general, lasers are used for activating the peroxide substance applied to teeth.
- Teeth sensitivity- Dentists can use dental lasers for sealing tubes that make the teeth sensitive to hot and cold beverages or food.
Benefits of Laser Dentistry
Because laser dentistry is minimally invasive, it may not involve the administration of an anesthetic to dull potential pain. Also, the high-energy laser beam used can clot exposed vessels, reducing the chances of bleeding and blood loss.
Dental lasers are focused beams of light that allow for precise treatment. With such precision, there is minimal damage to surrounding tissue. Also, since dental procedures that use lasers do not involve cutting and sutures, any wounds are expected to heal quickly. Also, laser dentistry is a versatile kind of dentistry that can treat various kinds of conditions and dental issues. Since lasers sterilize the focused area, they eliminate most of the bacteria that might be present there, reducing the risk of infection.