Lose Your Abdominal Fat after 40 Years
Hormonal changes and slowing metabolism occur with age. Here are the new rules to apply for weight loss after 40 years, thanks to three easy-to-implement methods that will help you get rid of your abdominal fat.
Do you have belly pads that you cannot get rid of? Do all the tricks to lose 3 kilos quickly work less and less at home? You can blame the hormonal changes and the slowing down of your metabolism that occur over the years. We can, however, counteract these phenomena and rewrite the rules of weight loss after 40. That’s how to remedy this:
- The bulges in the belly: rise in blood sugar. At age 30, 10% to 20% of women are insulin resistant – which means that their body does not respond to signals that encourage the absorption of sugar in the blood. By the age of 60, more than half of women are insulin-resistant because of a drop in estrogen levels. Other hormonal changes, such as elevated levels of cortisol, the stress hormone, cause the storage of fat in the belly. And belly fat is not just unsightly. It causes problems, releasing chemicals that interfere even more with insulin. The real difficulty is that insulin resistance also appears to interfere with your ability to burn fat, further complicating the loss of fat in your stomach.
- The solution: Remove the carbohydrates and stop the craziness. Women who are insulin resistant lose 50% more weight when they remove carbohydrates by 60% to 40% of their menu – 8 kilograms lost instead of 12 kilograms in 16 weeks – according to a research study. University of Colorado.
- Belly bump: sleep problems. Turning around and turning around all night is detrimental to your ability to burn fat and therefore lose weight, even if you consume very few calories! Women who experience early menopause often complain of poor sleep, often for many years, a precarious sleep that is often associated with hot flashes. Guilty party? Again, hormonal changes: estrogen falls and luteinizing hormone (LH) levels peak.
- The Solution: Yoga A gentle and soothing yoga session (deep breathing, relaxing poses) will significantly enhance the quality of your sleep, as demonstrated in a University of Washington study. All you need to do is take a weekly class and do 15 minutes of yoga each day to avoid hot flashes and night sweats, as well as to relieve stress – you know, the kind of symptoms that wake you up at 4 am!
- The belly of the belly: disappearance of the muscles Trained, tonic, the developed muscles burn twice as many calories as fat. This is the cruel reality, from age 45, we all lose – men too – about 1% of our muscle mass each year. And this phenomenon accelerates when estrogen levels decrease. Because every kilo of muscle burns about 15 to 20 calories a day, losing several tens of grams here and there gradually leads to the appearance of abdominal fat.
- The solution: muscle training Solicit your muscles by working with dumbbells, elastic bands, weight loss machines, or thanks to your own body weight (by pushing, pulling, etc.), this will help you to develop and maintain your precious muscle mass while dieting. Researchers have found that older people burn up to 12% more calories per day – and that does not matter what you burn by training! – After 26 weeks of muscle training.
Some physical changes are largely beneficial over time. Which part of your body do you prefer today?